Wednesday 28 December 2016

Thrifted dress bonanza!

Freeow!  It's almost the end of the year, and I've almost finished watching the entire season of "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", again.  I'm not saying I've been a total, Netflix sloth...spending hours and hours supine on the couch. But then again, I'm not NOT saying that either.

I am saying that it's inarguably the BEST time to thrift, as the thrift stores are positively BURSTING with amazing clothing.  

In the past three months I went on several shopping sprees and I literally left loads of scrummy clothing behind because I found too much good stuff.  Sigh.

I've been obsessed with dresses and velvet...and the 90's. Here is a selection of amazing dresses that I found.  Prices ranged from $2-$25.

In no particular order.

I bought FOUR black dresses at Value Village.  I originally had many more in my cart (yup, it was a dress-apalooza). But I exercised great restraint and put most of them back.  

Here are two of the dresses. The dress on the left is particularly becoming.  I have never owned a dress with asymetric details before - I am quite happy with it. The dress on the left is a thick cotton knit with jewelled neckline.  It still had the tags on it!

I bought two other black dresses.  One with a sweetheart neckline and mesh, beaded shoulders.  The other was a floaty, long 90's dress...I love the 90s!!  







Have you ever had one of those dreamy, thrifting moments?  You know, when everything is incredibly inexpensive?  And the aisles are loaded with everything you could possibly want?  Welcome to my Salvation Army shopping spree.

I sorta regret not buying this 80s tafetta for $2.  It would have made an amazing sleeveless, dress.





I came home with this $2 velvet maxi.  I wore it to a comedy night.  It was excellent for an evening of laughter and great food.






I nipped into the Sally Anne during one of their 50% off sales.

Imagine my surprise when I found this lurking amongst the Old Navy and George.




I squealed when I saw the label.  Which may explain why I'm holding the dress so close in this picture - I wasn't going to let it get away!!

This St. John dress likely retailed for a pretty penny.  It came home with me for $5!!






Hello, is that jacquard?






Why yes, I'll take you home with me.  And that crushed, grey velvet dress too.





This bright green, silk sheath came home too.  It's J Crew, hurrah!




Nothing is more practical for our Canadian climate that a loose, sweater dress.  Especially when it's made of easy-care acrylic.


Joe Fresh $5

I've already worn it to work. Paired with leggings and boots.  It was a hit!

I also came home with some yarn, a couple of scarves, and some china.


10 skeins of Canadian wool





Four scarves

Feeling lazy, I threw the mohair scarf in the washing machine on the delicate cycle.  It did shrink, but in a good way.  It's dense and lightweight.  I wore it on an especially chilly, windy day and it did an excellent job blocking out the Artic air.

I also find that washing mohair helps blunt the extreme, hairy itchiness.




Forgetful idiot that I was...I unrolled the scarf forgetting that I had this china cup rolled inside.  The cup cracked, so I threw it away.  I still have the tidbit saucer, which I've used to hold my tea-time dainties (which is a fancy way to say Kit-Kats).





Back to my thrift haul.  I found some extraordinary items which did not come home with me.  But I took pictures to show you.


Fabulous vintage coat

English made "Official" velvet halter dress.  If only this vintage beauty could talk!  I bet it went to wonderful parties!




The neckline was embellished with glittery stones.




The quality of the velvet was amazing.  I hope it went to a good home.



I also found this vintage maxi.




And this more, modern leopard print.





I did buy this Liz Claiborne.  I do like a lined dress that you can scrumple up and squish into ball for packing.  It doesn't wrinkle!!  I packed it away for the spring. 





This black watch, tartan dress joined the other tartan items in my wardrobe.  It's a tad snug, but I can wear it unbuttoned as a duster.





Last but not least, this Ikat print, Anne Klein dress.  Also, packed away for the summer.






Whew! That was a long post.  I could use a cuppa!

happy thrifting ;)


























9 comments:

  1. It certainly is the best time of year for charity shopping! You've done brilliantly.
    Funny to see a good old St Michael scarf over in Canada - they still turn up in chazzas here! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I love this scarf! It's light and airy, but does an excellent job keeping me warm. Thank you for popping by!! Hope to see more of your chazza finds soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great dresses! I would have bought the leopard trimmed coat even though I already have a similar one just because.

    I get excited by finding St. John too. I would see the ads in Vogue when I was young and think, "Ain't never gonna afford THAT!" I didn't go thrifting back then ;)

    Best wishes for a wonderful New Year. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great dresses! I would have bought the leopard trimmed coat even though I already have a similar one just because.

    I get excited by finding St. John too. I would see the ads in Vogue when I was young and think, "Ain't never gonna afford THAT!" I didn't go thrifting back then ;)

    Best wishes for a wonderful New Year. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I love St. John! The quality of the material almost jumps out from the rack. That leopard trimmed coat *almost* came home with me. The quality of the wool was amazing. But I just don't have the room. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic haul. And yes, I have that dream too, and very occasionally it comes true! My favourites are the black dress with the jewelled neckline, the velvet maxi and - last but not least - the bright green sheath! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I really liked the green dress too. I'm a bit of a label snob, and I knew from the quality of the dress it was a good 'un. Then when I peeked inside at the label, I saw it was J Crew. My suspicions were confirmed.

      Delete
  6. I've just discovered your blog and have to say am impressed at your thrift purchases, and your restraint at what you left behind! Love the good old M&S mohair scarf, I always pick up cheap mohair scarves if I see them. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, isn't mohair the best!! Occasionally we get bitterly cold, Artic air blasts and mohair scarves are the ONLY thing that will block it. The only other option is to wear something with an excessively large overhanging hood. Which is worn hanging over your face (which I don't like because then I can only see the ground).

    Thank you for complimenting my restraint. Thunder Bay has literally the BEST thrift shopping I've ever seen. And during Christmas and spring it's ridiculous what can be found for only a few dollars.

    hope you come by again..Happy New Year's, eh?

    ReplyDelete